international student life

international student

How to get your Student loan forgiven by working in Public Service.

You can get your qualifying Student Loans forgiven by doing Public Service as a full time employee for qualifying Organizations.

In recent years, Student load debt has become the biggest load burden for most people in the USA. Many people humorously say that this is where you get into debt to get a career to help you get out of debt.

To address this situation, there exist a Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program that forgives the remaining balance on your Direct Loans after you have made 120 qualifying monthly payments under a qualifying repayment plan while working full-time for a qualifying employer.

Qualifying employment for the PSLF Program is not about the specific job that you do for your employer. It is about who your employer is. Employment with the following types of organizations qualifies for PSLF:

Government organizations at any level (federal, state, local, or tribal).
Not-for-profit organizations that are tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Other types of not-for-profit organizations that provide certain types of qualifying public services.
Serving in a full-time AmeriCorps or Peace Corps position also counts as qualifying employment for the PSLF Program.

Employers that do not qualify for PSLF include Labor unions, Partisan political organizations, For-profit organizations and Non-profit organizations that are not tax-exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and that do not provide a qualifying service.

For PSLF, you are usually considered to work full-time if you meet your employer’s definition of full-time or work at least 30 hours per week, whichever is greater.

Here are some things you should remember about load forgiveness.

It only works for federal loans and not private loans.
Many loan repayment plans are already calculated out to last for 10 years, so you might not end up saving any money.
This only works from payments made from 2007 on (so if you started paying it back before 2007, you need 120 payments starting in 2007, which may render the issue null based on the point above).
You have to be on a qualified repayment plan (not everyone is).
Only in the US.

Do more research here about Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program